Well, it happened. I slipped. Well, not really slipped…actually took 2 mint M&M’s out of the bag of Christmas candy I bought on clearance after Christmas to use for “baking” and ate them.
On the plus side, they were really good, on the negative side, I really wanted to skip all sweets for this 31 days! Oh well, the important thing is to get right back on the “no junk food train” and continue the healthy eating.
On that note, apparently January is National Oatmeal Month and here is a tasty way to start your day!
based on this recipe I found on http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/12/27/sugar-cookie-oatmeal/
I also used the “Melted Banana trick”from this site. Seriously, amazing for sweet oatmeal that is sugar free!
Sugar Cookie Oatmeal
a naturally sweet, healthy, start to your day
- 2 1/2 C of liquid ( I use 2 C milk and 1/2 C water)
- 1 1/2 C of old fashioned oats
- pinch of salt if desired
- 4 sugar cookie sleigh ride tea bags (Celestial Seasonings) or another yummy flavor
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- Warm milk and add tea bags, heat water to boiling and pour over milk/tea. Let steep for 5-10 minutes while you start bananas. Mash bananas and add to saucepan over medium heat or microwave until warmed and fragrant. I usually do this in the pan I will be making the oatmeal in. Remove tea bags from milk, add mixture to pan with bananas, add oats and a any spices you like. I used a dash of vanilla extract (homemade) and a pinch of salt. Heat until almost desired thickness as it will continue to thicken upon standing. OR heat until most of the liquid is absorbed and then refrigerate overnight and in the morning add a splash of milk and reheat. Top with all your favorites, we used chia seeds, a few sprinkles for the kids, (it is sugar cookie oatmeal after all, 🙂 and a handful of walnuts/blackberries for me.
Search, share, and cook your recipes on Mac OS X with SousChef