So the oatmeal starts with a basic recipe, but the first time I made it I thought, this would be the perfect dish to bring to the moms group I attend, if I could make it ahead of time. So, I researched a little online if you could make this type of breakfast casserole ahead of time and in my research found several other recipes to try. None are as good as this one! I did find out it is safe to make it ahead of time and refrigerate overnight which is great for busy mornings.
So, I began baking it ahead of time or prepping it the night before and popping it into the oven the morning of MOPS and it was ready to go! It is a big hit every time I bring it. I got tired of giving out the recipe by e mail so much, so I put it on our website and the rest is where the fun begins.
I added apples and raisins for this next variation when I ran out of coconut and craisins. Very yummy and lots of good iron and fiber.
Apple Raisin Baked Oatmeal
- 1 C home made applesauce with cinnamon/sugar
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 6 C quick oats
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt and cinnamon
- 1 tsp cinnmon or 1/2 cinnamon and 1/2 apple pie spice
- 2 C milk
- 2 apples peeled and chopped (I like granny smith)
- 1 -2 C raisins
- 1 -2 C craisins or raisins
- Beat together 1st four ingredients. Add remaining, mix well. Add apples, coconut, craisins last. Sprinkle nuts on top and pour into greased 9 x 13 and cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator while you preheat the oven. Or go ahead and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until center is set.